Trico Electric Cooperative, Inc., is a non-profit electric distribution cooperative serving more than 43,000 Members in rural areas surrounding the City of Tucson including portions of Pima, Pinal and Santa Cruz counties. The majority of Trico’s service territory is to the west of Tucson and spans approximately 66 miles east to west and 80 miles north to south, extending to the border with Mexico. Overall, Trico’s service area encompasses 2,346 square miles. Area farmers and ranchers organized Trico in 1945 under the Rural Electrification Act that was enacted to bring electricity to the rural areas of the United States. Three years later, Trico’s first electrical lines were energized. A Certificate of Convenience and Necessity issued by the Arizona Corporation Commission in 1966 provides Trico the exclusive right to provide electric distribution service in its territory. Between 1987 and the present, additional Certificates were issued for the SaddleBrooke and Oracle Junction areas, adding 32 square miles to the northern part of Trico’s service area.